Sunday, February 26, 2006

Jurong Green CC Mini

Game 1: vs Peter Yu
I first bingoed with DEsTAIN(86) but Peter replied with CHINE(47) down the TWS. Our score was quite close a few turns later until I had an EEIRSZ? rack. It was a bingo-prone rack but there was no place to put it except for a CRIT on board that looked like it had potential for a front hook. I tried SEIZuRE and RESIZEs in consecutive turns to front hook the last letter to CRIT but both were challenged off. By then, Peter had decided to close off the board and I played badly after that. I went over time by 2 minutes and had many low scoring moves.



New words learnt: CRIT, CHINE, LANT,
My Bingos: DEsTAIN(ch)(86) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: ECRIT*(ch), SCRIT*(ch) Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: - Opp High Moves: CHINE(ch)(47)
L 298-359, -61. 0W 1L (Accum spread -61).

Game 2: Marcus
After Marcus bingoed with EARLIER(78), I got one blank each for the next two turn. I bingoed with INHALeD(74) then got ENOPST? for my next turn. Spent a long time thinking of a 7-letter bingo but couldn't think of any. Finally, I saw an 8-letter one through a floating I on the board to form NEPOTISm(74).



New words learnt: -
My Bingos: INHALeD(74), NEPOTISm(74) Opp Bingos: EARLIER(78)
My Phoneys: RUP*(ch) Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: JIB(35), FEZ(39), VINO(33) Opp High Moves: GEY(ch)34, CUM(31), SHA(36)
W 435-377, +58. 1W 1L (Accum spread -3).

Game 3: Kum Zi Peng
Bingoed twice with BRUISES(75) and DANGERS(71) but lost the lead when I challenged PIOY and PIOYE in succession and ZP bingoed with TOADIEs(78). Managed to overtake him with a RUG set up to score with QAID(34) and BINGS(45) down the TWS line in succession. I lost in the end though as I went over time by 3 minutes and challenged his second last word, HILLO, which was good!



New words learnt: PIOY, PIOYE, ENVOI, HILLO, HILLOA
My Bingos: BRUISES(75), DANGERS(71) Opp Bingos: TOADIEs(78)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: QAID(34), BINGS(45) Opp High Moves: WOK(31), MUTED(30), PIOY(ch)(31), ECU/PIOYE(ch)(30), FEZ(37)
L 374-378, -4. 1W 2L (Accum spread -9).

Game 4: Serene Ngu
Got to a bad start when I phoneyed with DOV* while trying to score with the V on the TWL cell. Managed to catch up when Serene phoneyed with CATLINES* which was challenged off and I bingoed with TINTERS(79). I scored very well with the Q with QUAT(52) and was lucky enough to get both blanks late in the game to further capitalise on the Q with the TWS cell.



New words learnt: GIRO, GIRON
My Bingos: TINTERS(79) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: DOV*(ch) Opp Phoneys: CATLINES*(ch)
My High Moves: WRITES(40), QUAT(52), QUeLl(36) Opp High Moves: PEAS(40), ZILA(31), XI(38), LEANS/GIRON(ch)(32)
W 427-356, +71. 2W 2L (Accum spread +62).

Game 5: Victor Chua
I bingoed with RAVINES(67) and Victor bingoed with TRIPLES(71) shortly after that. The board was quite close after that and I was frustrated with having no place to play my tiles. I played many phoneys that were challenged off while Victor managed to score consistently to maintain his lead. Must learn how to play well in a closed board in the future!

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: RAVINES(67) Opp Bingos: TRIPLES(71)
My Phoneys: FATA*(ch), DEIN*(ch), NEG*(ch) Opp Phoneys: GIL*(ch)
My High Moves: - Opp High Moves: HAZILY(38), JETE(38)
L 335-390, -55. 2W 3L (Accum spread +7).

Game 6: Chia Guo Cong
I won Guo Cong during the last Millenium Cup and was feeling confident although I knew that my opponent had very good word knowledge. We made many high scoring moves consecutively at one time! I bingoed first with CREVISE*(80), then he bingoed with RAINDATE(68) that exposed two TWS cells. I scored with DJIN(47) with one of them, Guo Cong scored with QUIM(69) with the other one, then I scored again with ZEX(52)! I bingoed a few turns later with fACTION(77). For my last turn, I had a comfortable lead and I didn't check what tiles my opponent was holding although I was diligently tracking it. In the end, he managed to bingo out with SLAINTE(69) and snatch an extra 16 points from my EHITU? rack to beat me by one point!



New words learnt: RAINDATE
My Bingos: CREVISE*(80), fACTION(77) Opp Bingos: RAINDATE(ch)(68), SLAINTE(69)
My Phoneys: CREVISE* Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: DJIN(47), ZEX(52) Opp High Moves: QUIM(69)
L 415-416, -1. 2W 4L (Accum spread +6).

Game 7: Ang Chew Chuah
Started very well with QUEEN(48) and bingoed with BRIDGES(80). I also made many high scoring moves including VARS(38), front hooking "A" to BRIDGES to capitalise on the TWS cell. Should have played AVA for that move as I had an excess of "A"s but I wasn't sure of it. I knew that AVO and AWA were good but was always confused whether AVA and AWO* were valid. Ran out of good tiles near the end and Chew Chuah slowly closed the gap with GoODIES(67), VOX(35) and ZOO(41).



New words learnt: -
My Bingos: BRIDGES(80) Opp Bingos: GoODIES(67)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: QUEEN(48), WHERE(32), QUOIF(34), VARS(38), HARMeD(41), YEAT(34) Opp High Moves: TAK(32), VOX(35), ZOO(41)
W 413-382, +31. 3W 4L (Accum spread +37).

Game 8: Chia Guo Cong
Was quite surprised to play Guo Cong again for the "King-of-the-Hill" round as I was expecting to play against either Peter or Marcus. Once again, he demonstrated his excellent word knowledge as he played VINIC, ENDIRON and BENNY in succession which I challenged the first two unsuccessfully. Managed to pull ahead as I bingoed with TOGGLER(76) and INERTIa(70). I also capitalised on the TWL cell with AH(32) that also served as a set up for SKIT(41) across the TWS cell. Guo Cong could have scored more for his last turn with ROOs back hooking QI with the "s" but he didn't as he was unsure of the word.



New words learnt: VINIC(ch), ENDIRON(ch), BENNY
My Bingos: TOGGLER(76), INERTIa(70) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: DEX(41), AH(32), SKIT(41) Opp High Moves: VINIC(ch)(33), ENDIRON(ch)(37), BENNY(38), JEWEL(32), NAZI(34)
W 420-340, +80. 4W 4L (Accum spread +117).

Had fun playing in the mini but was frustrated with the many silly mistakes that I made. Looking forward to the upcoming Lim Boon Heng cup! Hopefully, I would have learnt not to repeat the same mistakes by then!

No comments: