Saturday, May 18, 2013

PSTAR Scrabble Games 2013

The PSTAR Scrabble games is an annual event for organisations in the civil service to take part in a friendly game of Scrabble. It was held at the Civil Service Club (Bukit Batok) on 18th May 2013 from 10am to 5pm. A total of 31 teams took part. MINDEF had one team taking part this year.

Here's my match report.

Game 1: Singapore Sports Council
My first opponent was against Zaid Ismail from SSC. Had quite an easy game as I bingoed twice with MARrIED(82) and SAUNTER(71) while he made phoneys with SKIE* and GA*. Learnt a new word "SCONE" from the table next to me. Thought it could be a phoney until my friend explained to me that it was a common word for a type of cake.

Won 473-182. Our team lost 1-2.

Game 2: Singapore Powers
My second opponent was against Oi Leng from Singapore Powers. She was a pleasant old lady who kept her cool even though she was trailing. Had quite an easy game too as I had three bingos: ROISTED(73), SERAFIN(78) and DERIDEd(75). Learnt a new word "BURR" from her.

Won 503-289. Our team won 2-1.

Game 3: Singapore Sports Council
My third opponent was against Azmi from SSC. SSC had two guys and two girls in their team including a reserve, so I was a bit disappointed that I only got to play the guys in their team. This turned out to be an exciting close game as our scores were neck-in-neck until the final few turns. I was fishing a little bit at first before bingoing with ISATINE(71) but he scored big with ZA(44), SUQ(44) and BENCH(50). I think the turning point came when he tried to score big by hooking the Y of OY to an existing FEET on a triple letter score cell. Luckily FEETY* was a phoney and I challenged it off!

Won 387-364. Our team lost 1-2.

Game 4: Ministry of Social and Family Development
My last opponent was against Goh from MSF. Had a EEILMRT rack on my second turn and I tried MELTIER(70) which turned out to be valid when challenged! My RECURLED* a few turns later got challenged off though! I should have played RECULED or ULCERED instead! Learnt a new word "SKIM" from him.

Won 393-255. Our team won 2-1.

LTA, MOE, HDB and SSC were the top 4 teams. MHA received two consolation prizes for coming in first in both the second and third tier. The MINDEF teams did not win any prizes but we had a really fun time! Hope we could do better next year!

No comments: