Saturday, May 26, 2012

PSTAR Scrabble Games 2012

The PSTAR Scrabble games is an annual event for organisations in the civil service to take part in a friendly game of Scrabble. It was held at the Civil Service Club (Bukit Batok) on 26th May 2012 from 10am to 5pm. A total of 30 teams took part. MINDEF had two teams taking part this year.

Here's my match report, with quizzes marked with [number] and the answers given at the end of the report.

Game 1: LTA 1
My first game was against Jimmy from LTA 1 whom I lost before in the 2009 PSTAR games. Learnt a few new words like JUICER and PAVIOR. I also realised that ORAS* was a phoney as it was challenged off when I tried to back hook my SITZ to an existing ORA on the board. Won easily with two bingos CADENZAS(91) and ETIOLIN(77) while he had none. My team mate lost narrowly as he realised that the tile bag had an extra T but a missing Q only after the game was over.

Won 416-312. Our team lost 1-2.

Game 2: CPF 1
My second opponent was against Boon Khee from CPF 1 whom I have played many years ago in a previous PSTAR game. He bingoed with LATTICE(73) but I scored well with XIS(41), ENEW(33) and IZAR(42) to overtake him and win in the end. I got away with a phoney GOW* when I played ENEW.

Won 409-367. Our team won 3-0.

Game 3: CAAS 2
My third opponent was against Shi Han from CAAS 2 who was the only guy in his team. He phoneyed with ABRUPTED* but bingoed twice with SCoRNED(74) and SURGERY(73) to win. Might have won if I had not chickened out of VINAL early in the game.

Lost 356-367. Our team won 2-1.

Game 4: HDB 2
Was hoping to play with at least one girl, so I sort of got my wish when I played against Serene from HDB 2 although it was not exactly what I had in mind. Was thrashed by her as I allowed her to score with a four-timer bingo HISSERS(111) by back hooking the S to WOMAN. I could have taken the same spot with a CEIRST? rack if I had played the anagram whose third letter is an S.[1]

Lost 329-460. Our team won 2-1.

MOE 1, MHA 3, MOE 2 and LTA 1 were the top 4 teams. HDB and CPF received consolation prizes for coming in first in the second and third tier respectively. The MINDEF teams did not win any prizes but we had a really fun time! Hope we could do better next year!

Quiz answers (highlight to see clearly)

[1] CISTERN

No comments: