Saturday, July 17, 2010

Scrabble Nationals 2010 (Day One)

This year's Nationals is once again held at Toa Payoh West CC. I had wanted to meet up with old friends without playing as I thought it would be tiring playing twelve full games but decided to take part when Valli told me that division B needed one more person to make it even number of participants.

Game 1: vs Aloysious
Aloysious had such a big lead after scoring a bingo with CAMPERS(76) that he could even afford to ignore my phoney with VINCE*. I was thinking of putting either EVINCE or VINCE* but decided on VINCE* in the end as I thought it looked more valid.

New words learnt: EVINCE
My Bingos: - Opp Bingos: CAMPERS(76)
My Phoneys: VINCE*(36) Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: COVES(35), WEB(34), SILK(30), VINCE*(36) Opp High Moves: AX(36), JOB(33), ZIP(45)
L 296-433, -137. 0W 1L (Accum spread -137).

Game 2: vs Yong Jian Rong
I bingoed first with RETINAE(66) but Jian Rong bingoed with ANNOTATES(85) a few turns later through an existing NO and back hooking the E with a SUP on the board! Pretty impressive for a primary school kid! I was stuck with the J and the Q late in the game with a very narrow lead but managed to clear them off for a win!

New words learnt: SUPE
My Bingos: RETINAE(66) Opp Bingos: ANNOTATES(85)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: ROP*, WAH*, TEAF*(21)
My High Moves: KIT(34), ZO(64), BAD(32), QIS(30) Opp High Moves: ORS(40), WHAM(36), CUIF(41)
W 428-412, +16. 1W 1L (Accum spread -121).

Game 3: vs Ganapathy
Had a comfortable lead when I bingoed twice with BlUNTED(76) and YEARNERS(74) while he had one bingo with sHARING(83). Think Ganapathy was not too familiar with the new Collins words as he tried to challenge off my REO and KOIS.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: BlUNTED(76), YEARNERS(74) Opp Bingos: sHARING(83)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: BEWIG(36), CUZ(40), JOT(30) Opp High Moves: -
W 431-377, +54. 2W 1L (Accum spread -67).

Game 4: vs Tan Mun Ri
I missed my opponent's REY*(29) phoney early in the game as I thought I played it often in online games before. Maybe I forgot that it was often challenged off too! Think my vocabulary definitely needs to be improved as I could not see bingos with both EIORSTW and AEMPRST racks!

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: TEdIEST(73) Opp Bingos: ROARING(72)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: REY*(29), ESNY*
My High Moves: FIVER(39) Opp High Moves: JOE(35), QUOD(37)
L 330-396, -66. 2W 2L (Accum spread -133).

Finished day 1 with 2 wins and 2 losses.

No comments: