Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lim Boon Heng Cup 2009

Had a choice to play in either division B or C but decided on C as the potential returns on investment would be higher and I would have the chance to play with new upcoming talents!

When I arrived at Jurong Green CC on Sunday, I realised that almost 50% of the players in division C were regular PSTAR players like Ruby(MOE), Bee Tiang(?), How Fatt(CPF), Hozario(PA) and Karen(CAAS).

Here's my match report, with quizzes marked with [number] and the answers given at the end of the report.

Game 1: vs Stifen
My first game was against an NTU inter-hall player from Indonesia. Heard that his hall won last year's inter-hall games and he was part of the winning team!

I pulled ahead when I bingoed with INSTEAD(76) and stretched my lead when I scored well with QUAD(37) and FIXED(48). Missed a bingo towards the end when I phoneyed with WiLTERS* on a ELRSTW? rack to front hook the S to an existing COG on the board. If I had announced the blank as another letter, I would have formed a valid word. What would this word be?[1]

New words learnt: COOF
My Bingos: INSTEAD(76) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: WiLTERS* Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: QUAD(37), FIXED(48), LINY(33), BE(30) Opp High Moves: BURP(35), WE(35), KA(33)
W 455-289, +166. 1W 0L (Accum spread +166).

Game 2: vs Lai How Fatt
My second game was against an experienced player from CPF whom I never had a chance to play with in an actual competition.

I bingoed first with RENTIER(76) and he caught up with INSURES(71) a few moves later but I bingoed again with TWISTER(82), maintaining my lead until the end of the game.

New words learnt:
My Bingos: RENTIER(76), TWISTER(82) Opp Bingos: INSURES(71)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: AKEEING*
My High Moves: COMET(35), AIDING(30) Opp High Moves: FIX(38)
W 403-310, +93. 2W 0L (Accum spread +259).

Game 3: vs Janet Tay
My third game was against a lady who had a hearing disability. This is my first time using hand signals to announce my score.

I phonied twice in this game. First I tried to back hook BRR with an S that was immediately challenged off by her. Then, I tried to back hook PLY with an S. It was challenged off again! Realised later that it was DRY and PRY that took an S back hook.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: STAGERS(72) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: BRRS*, PLYS* Opp Phoneys: BIR*
My High Moves: QUILT(31) Opp High Moves: -
W 379-263, +116. 3W 0L (Accum spread +375).

Game 4: vs Ruby Sim
My fourth game was against a lady from MOE who was a regular player. Had a warm up game in the morning with her and lost as she bingoed out with PREEVING.

I bingoed first with TRAINED(70) but she was not far behind as she scored consistently. She pulled ahead when she scored with TUX(40) but I leveled up again with QUA(47). Our scores were only one or two points apart towards the end of the game but I managed to edge her out for a close win!

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: TRAINED(70) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: QUA(47) Opp High Moves: SEZ(38), MOP(33), TUX(40), DEAL(32), QUAIL(31)
W 395-383, +12. 4W 0L (Accum spread +387).

Game 5: vs Low Bee Tiang
My fourth game was against a regular scrabble player who also played in the PSTAR games. Had a 6-4 record against him, so I knew it would be a close fight!

Lots of mistakes from both of us in this bingoless game. I phonied with JORAN* when JORAM was valid and later with LUNER* when I tried to open up. He also phonied several times and allowed me to catch up. I scored again when I front hooked his HOW with DUNE across the triple score lane and maintained my lead after that. I had a EILNNSU tile at one time and considered playing LUNNIEST* using an existing T on the board but decided against it. Do you know what the anagram for LUNNIEST* is?[2]

New words learnt:
My Bingos: - Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: JORAN*, LUNER* Opp Phoneys: FEX*, VOLTER*
My High Moves: FEZ(30), PYA(30), SHADE(47), QUIN(33) Opp High Moves: VOX(43), VOTER(31), HOW(35)
W 382-337, +45. 5W 0L (Accum spread +432).

Game 6: vs Stifen
Last two games were King-of-the-Hill and I had a rematch with Stifen.

This time round, he bingoed twice with BuLLETS(68) and SINGERS(76) while I only had one bingo with DENIALS(75). I was still leading on my second last move but he played an excellent end game to finish all his tiles and pulled ahead for a close win! I had challenged him twice unsuccessfully but it wouldn't have made any difference to the result of the game if I hadn't done so.

New words learnt: GABY
My Bingos: DENIALS(75) Opp Bingos: BuLLETS(68), SINGErs(76)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: TIPE*
My High Moves: QI(35), ZIN(32), AW(31) Opp High Moves: VIDS(33)
L 384-395, -11. 5W 1L (Accum spread +421).

Game 7: vs Stifen
Another rematch with Stifen.

Led comfortably after I bingoed with PASsING(78) and scored well with DUNK(40) and REX(33). He had a chance to nail my Q towards the end but I managed to escape with QiS, front hooking the S to an existing EGO on the board. Lucky guess for me as I was totally unsure of the word!

New words learnt: SEGO
My Bingos: PASsING(78) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: ZITES* Opp Phoneys: CLEAK*
My High Moves: DUNK(40), REX(33) Opp High Moves: THEY(41), PLACER(32), FIZ(36)
W 386-285, +101. 6W 1L (Accum spread +522).

A little disappointed that I did not get to play with some of the younger new faces in the division as I ended up playing many of the regular players but overall it was still a very good Scrabble experience!

Quiz answers (Highlight to see clearly):

[1] WeLTERS
[2] UNSILENT

No comments: