Sunday, July 20, 2008

Scrabble Nationals 2008 (Day Two)

There were a few casualties at the start of day two. Kum Zi Peng and Gan Cher Siong dropped out from div A, Lester Phong, Dinna Lim and Low Bee Theang dropped out from div B. This tested the skill of the tournament director to do a proper pairing so that those who were absent would meet each other. The proper pairings was eventually done with the help of Tony and Wei Bin. If there was a TD handbook, this should probably be one of the FAQ.

Game 5: vs Shahrul
Managed to close up the gap to about 18 points after my opponent scored his second bingo but he extended his lead further with AKE(30) and HEXING(39) towards the end of the game and I lost.

New words learnt: INDOLES, HEXING
My Bingos: - Opp Bingos: CHARRING(76), INDOLES(65)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: ABE*
My High Moves: QI(46), FILTH(36), ZIT(35) Opp High Moves: BEES(30), AKE(30), HEXING(39)
L 409-364, -45. 2W 3L (Accum spread -92).

Game 6: vs Timothy Tan
Played badly at the start as I had lots of vowels and I played them for very few points while allowing my opponent to score big. Improved a little bit towards the end as I managed to score big with some of my tiles but couldn't catch up by then.

New words learnt: MOULDERS
My Bingos: DESIRES(70), LANTERNS(74) Opp Bingos: MOULDERS(71)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: XI(34), CUBIT(30), WRIT(39), HENRY(34) Opp High Moves: KI(33), QADI(72)
L 390-416, -26. 2W 4L (Accum spread -118).

Had a birthday celebration for the tournament director after our second game and everyone in both division A and B were given a slice of cake each. I happened to be queueing after Serene and Yen Nee. Heard Serene requesting to have a small piece while Yen Nee wanted an extra large piece. Hmm, thought it should have been the other way round to balance things up?

Game 7: vs Eden Choo
Close game! Managed to edge out a win despite being outbingoed two to one.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: TARDIER(82) Opp Bingos: DILUTES(66), INSTEAD(71)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: COEDITS*
My High Moves: QATS(33), TWIRLED(45), VAU(31), FY(31), WINCE(39) Opp High Moves: WHIZ(43), TAK(31), OX(50), SIDE(32)
W 447-438, +9. 3W 4L (Accum spread -109).

After our 3rd game, I went to a nearby food center together with Winston, Victor and Timothy for lunch.

Game 8: vs Khamis
Khamis played the same phoney "ABE" as Shahrul in an earlier game. Think this must be one of the more common three letter phoneys played. Lost as I was outbingoed two to none.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: - Opp Bingos: ENTAILED(61), FIGURES(72)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: ABE*
My High Moves: JOLLY(46), HUB(32), YON(42), PAN(32) Opp High Moves: AXE(36), WHET(37), FUNS(33)
L 343-393, -50. 3W 5L (Accum spread -159).

Game 9: vs Soo Yi Wei
Had a comfortable lead after the first few moves and I extended my lead further towards the end with DITZ(47).

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: RIOTERS(70) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: AF*
My High Moves: CRAFT(32), FY(38), WAIST(34), WE(36), DITZ(47) Opp High Moves: -
W 463-210, +253. 4W 5L (Accum spread +94).

Game 10: vs Ruby Sim
Had a comfortable lead after I scored two bingos early in the game. I maintained my lead with a bit of help from Ruby who phonied twice and changed her tiles several times.

New words learnt: CARL
My Bingos: BEARING(63), TAINTED(73) Opp Bingos: -
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: ZIENS*, UVO*
My High Moves: - Opp High Moves: WOWS(40), ZA(37), AD(30), VIES(36)
W 449-322, +127. 5W 5L (Accum spread +221).

Game 11: vs Eden Choo
Played Eden once again in this KOTH round. Realised that I was really rusty when I took a long time to think of a bingo with a AEINTT? rack. Wanted the blank to be an S and in the 3rd position so that I could have a double double. Eden scored big in the middle of the game and extended his lead with a late bingo in the game.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: INSTATE(80) Opp Bingos: GLINTED(74)
My Phoneys: - Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: QIS(42) Opp High Moves: DJINS(33), JEE(32), ORAD(30), WIZ(42)
L 347-428, -81. 5W 6L (Accum spread +140).

Game 12: vs Ganapathy
Would have wanted to win the last game so that I could at least have an equal number of wins and losses but I really had no form in this game and lost badly.

New words learnt: -
My Bingos: - Opp Bingos: STARTED(74), STAPLED(75)
My Phoneys: WAM* Opp Phoneys: -
My High Moves: IWI(30), OOM(30) Opp High Moves: FAX(34), FURY(42), ZEE(32), ROUND(31)
L 287-479, -192. 5W 7L (Accum spread -52).

Finished the tournament with 5 wins and out of top 10. Hope to do better next year!

No comments: